Thursday 7 June 2012

Learning the Hard Way


First week complete at Wilderness and worked out I only have 7 working weeks here so need to make the most of every moment! My second group of guests were great, still old americans who knew very little about the bush which made it easy for me! Found the same female leopard on our first drive in broad daylight which was awesome, such a beautiful cat. Also had a good elephant bull sighting so happy guests! 

Enos the head guide has been pretty difficult to work with and doesn't make life easy which he reminds me of in those exact words every day! But it seems if you play the game then you can get by without too much trouble. Although i have a test on all the trees in camp (bear in mind its a 2km walk from one end to the other) on their common names and botanical names!! looking forward to that one!

Had a pretty scary elephant encounter a couple of days ago, got stuck in the middle of a breeding herd and had a huge ellie bull in musth coming right at me and i had no where to go. We were in an area called ambush alley for that exact reason! so turned around and then got caught by a very protective female who would not let me pass! escaped in the end though and the guests seemed to enjoy it! Also saw the cutest baby elephant lying down and then didn't have the strength to get back up so just wiggled his trunk around in the air not knowing what to do with it! very cute! moments like that make me realise how lucky i am!

Now i have a night off before my next guests arrive for another 3 days. So plenty of time to catch up on my trees and watch movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment